jasmine - Knowledgebase Question

gig harbor, Wa
Question by kveal
should jasmine be planted in spring or fall?
if fall, is it too late this year?
also, what is a highly fragrant variety that can tolerate partial shade that grows well in the NW? and where can I find it?
thanks

0

You can plant jasmine now if you can find it in the garden centers. If not, you'll have to wait until spring when the new stock arrives. There are several that grow well in the Pacific Northwest.

Jasminum x stephanense is my favorite and it is evergreen in my Seattle area garden, but can get a bit ratty looking towards the end of winter. Most jasmine flowers are cream to yellow colored but the flowers on Jasminum x stephanense are pale pink.

Jasminum mesnyi, or Primrose jasmine is a rambling, open evergreen shrub with long, slender, arching stems that will climb like a sprawling vine if given support. Without support, it grows in a fountainlike mound 5-10 ft in height and spread.

Winter jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) is a rambling, diffuse shrub with slender, arching stems and four-angled green branchlets that bear opposite compound leaves with three leaflets. The glossy dark green leaflets are oblong and about 1 inch in length. Bright yellow, unscented, funnel shaped flowers about 1 in wide are produced in late winter and early spring before the leaves appear. Winter jasmine grows in a mound that can get 6-10 ft tall with a similar spread. Where they touch moist soil, the long trailing branches will root and produce new plants.

Several cultivars are available: 'Aureum' has yellow blotches on the leaves; 'Nanum' is a slow-growing, dwarf form.

Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"