My herbs are disappearing - Knowledgebase Question

La Crescenta, Ca
Question by joumanita
I have planted cilantro and Basil seeds in 2 different containers which I have placed on the patio close to the house back entrance. Then after they started growing and loking beautiful I found all the cilantro completely gone and most of the basil leaves have been chewed off but the stems remained. What natural/organic solution can you suggest? Thank you!

I can't imagine what might be munching on your tender herbs. Birds will sometimes harvest them, as will bunnies and even mice or rats. Since you don't know exactly what it is, the best course of action is to place a barrier over the plants. Try bird netting until the plants get large enough to hold their own and won't look so unhappy after being nibbled. Best wishes with your plants!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"