Tree ring issue - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Rosa, Ca
Question by stormyj67
My husband did this project from your site. http://www.homedepotgardenclub... I asked earlier about the dirt being up against the tree. I was told that it could rot the bark. What can I do now that the tree ring has already been built to prevent this?

If you followed the directions completely, including step 5 "When planting around a new tree, fill the circle between the stone-paver tree ring and the tree trunk with a 3?5-inch layer of Vigoro Pea Pebbles to provide drainage" then your tree will be just fine. The pea gravel will keep the soil off the trunk of the tree. If you did not add gravel to the space between the tree trunk and the soil you'll want to dig the soil out that is touching the tree trunk and fill the space with gravel. Three to five inches wide and as deep as the planter will be fine. I can see where there might be some confusion because of the way the instructions are written! The important thing is to keep the soil off the tree trunk. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"