Planting bulbs in a pot on a 27th floor balcony - Knowledgebase Question

New York, Ne
Question by karol7
Hi,

I purchased some lovely tulip bulbs at Home Depot, live in a 27th floor balcony and am wondering how to make this work with a very large--15 in. across the top--flower pot.

When do I plant the bulbs. Does the October info still hold?

Thanks.

0

You can plant your bulbs in containers this fall if you can provide some winter protection. The main concern with bulbs in containers in your growing region is that they are susceptible to freezing during the winter months. You can plant your bulbs in October and then wrap the containers with insulation to help keep them from freezing solid, or you can put your bulbs in the refrigerator until late February or early March, then plant them and take them outdoors. They will bloom right on schedule because they've gotten their required cold treatment in your fridge. You may want to experiment with both methods to see which works best for you. Best wishes with your tulips!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"