Black Locust Tree Trunk Splitting - Knowledgebase Question

Castle Creek, NY
Question by Zzerwekh
We have a beautiful old black locust tree in the front of our house. Recently I noticed that it is splitting at the first (main) crotch. It has two main sections from the crotch. It looks like a serious split, seems to be traveling down to the base of the tree, but as far as I can tell, no lightening or bugs.

I'm sure if we don't do anything it will eventually split and one half will fall down. Is there any way we can save it, or at least hang on to it as long as possible?

0

From the sounds of it, that is a potentially very dangerous split. A fallen tree (or half a tree) can do a lot of damage. To be honest, I think you need to contact a professional arborist for an on-site inspection and opinion as soon as possible. I'm so sorry about your tree.