Fertilizers with Calcium - Knowledgebase Question

Valdosta, Ge
Question by dixonlj
Our yard plants are dying and my tomatoes rotted on the bush this year. I was told we needed calcium. What type fertilizer should I use?

0

Lime is a substance that provides calcium. You can buy lime as ground limestone, dolomitic limestone, or gypsum. (To my knowledge there are no fertilizers with calcium added - you'll have to buy it separately.) Blossom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency aggravated by widely fluctuating soil moisture and high temperatures. It occurs because of too little calcium in the soil; too much nitrogen fertilizer, very wet or very dry soils (which interfere with calcium uptake), high temperatures, or combinations of these factors. Add lime to your soil to adjust the soil pH to 6.8-7.2. Fertilize only moderately, dont plant where drainage is poor, mulch plants with loose organic materials, and ensure uniform soil moisture. Water to wet all soil in the root zone every 7 to 10 days. If you follow the above directions, your veggies should be safe from blossom end rot.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Inimitable Ice Plant"