Fertilizers with Calcium - Knowledgebase Question

Valdosta, Ge
Question by dixonlj
September 30, 2009
Our yard plants are dying and my tomatoes rotted on the bush this year. I was told we needed calcium. What type fertilizer should I use?

Answer from NGA
September 30, 2009


Lime is a substance that provides calcium. You can buy lime as ground limestone, dolomitic limestone, or gypsum. (To my knowledge there are no fertilizers with calcium added - you'll have to buy it separately.) Blossom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency aggravated by widely fluctuating soil moisture and high temperatures. It occurs because of too little calcium in the soil; too much nitrogen fertilizer, very wet or very dry soils (which interfere with calcium uptake), high temperatures, or combinations of these factors. Add lime to your soil to adjust the soil pH to 6.8-7.2. Fertilize only moderately, dont plant where drainage is poor, mulch plants with loose organic materials, and ensure uniform soil moisture. Water to wet all soil in the root zone every 7 to 10 days. If you follow the above directions, your veggies should be safe from blossom end rot.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Inimitable Ice Plant"