weeds in stone edgeing - Knowledgebase Question

verona island, Ma
Question by veronasambo
I want to landscape around my ponds edge with landscaping fabric then add white crushed stone on the fabric. My concern is how deep to put the stone and how to maintain the weed when the start to grow in the crushed stone? Is there a step I can do to prevent weeds with out much trouble? Also I would like to plant a few prennials in the boarder of stone. What would you suggest for plants

Landscape fabric weed barrier should keep weeds from growing for an extended period of time. Adding 3-4 inches crushed rocks will finish off the area and make it look more attractive. I doubt that any weeds will grow in the crushed stone but if they do they will be easy to pull because they won't be able to root in the ground. There are some pre emergent herbicides you can apply but not all are safe to use around all plants so you may want to skip that step. If you decide you want to plant in the area, just brush away the stone, make a slit or X in the landscape fabric, plant your perennials then replace the landscape fabric and the crushed stones.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"