Hostas - Knowledgebase Question

Jefferson, Ma
Question by masonfarm2
A friend just told me she cuts back her hostas each year. I have never heard that. When do you cut them back? And when should you thin them out?

Hosta leaves are frost tender and generally dissolve after the first frost of the season. Cutting back is typically done after the leaves die down. If you remove the leaves from the garden, they won't harbor insect pests. On the other hand, leaving them where they lie can help insulate the crowns of the plants during the winter months. I tend to just leave things as they are and rake the dead leaves out in the spring. Spring is the best time to dig and divide the clumps. Wait until new green sprouts emerge from the ground and then dig the clump. You can divide by cutting the mass into small divisions, each with roots and a green sprout or two. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"