Grass/Seeding - Knowledgebase Question

Oxford, Co
Question by bauermsd
I live in Oxford, Connecticut and would like to know if this is a good time to plant grass seeds or should I wait until Spring. I purchased Scotts EZ Seed and a bag of Scotts seeds for sunny areas. I want to mix the 2 seeds and put down. I have some bare spots I want to fill in and try to overseed my backyard which still has some weeds/crabgrass. Can you please advise how and when I do this.

You can mix your own custom blend of grass seeds with what you purchased. Rake out the areas to be reseeded to roughen up the soil and broadcast your seeds, then cover over with a light layer of peat moss or sand to help protect the seeds from hungry birds. Grass seeds germinate quickly in 70F temperatures and more slowly if the ground temperatures is 50 or 60F. Any that do not sprout before snow arrives will just sit patiently until springtime. Next spring you can apply a pre emergent herbicide to prevent crabgrass from sprouting. By then your turfgrass will be established and the pre emergent won't keep the grass seed from sprouting. Timing is everything when it comes to crabgrass control!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"