Philippine violet plant - Knowledgebase Question

Winter Haven, Fl
Question by cjgero
I tried to look and and bookmark a Philippine violet plant but could not find it. Should I have looked for it by anther name? I would like to know how these root best, how fast they grow and what kind of care they need. Thank you, Cyndi

The Philippine violet is known botanically as Barleria cristata. It is related to the ruellia. The Philippine violet blooms in late summer and fall, which may suggest it is day-length sensitive. It reaches about 4 feet in height and is only a green shrub until September when the glorious show of violet flowers begins. Select a site in sun to part sun with fertile, organic-rich, well-drained soil. The Philippine violet is also an easy plant to root if you want to take some cuttings. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"