Shade planting - Knowledgebase Question

Westlake Village, Ca
Question by brsclsout
I have a front walkway which gets shade only.I have a narrow width about 18

It's difficult to find small plants that will flower and thrive in full shade, but here are a few suggestions: Asarum caudatum, or Wild Ginger. It is a really neat little California native perennial with heart-shaped leaves that likes full shade. Wild ginger smells spicy in a nice way. The flower is the best thing about this plant there are three petals with 1 to 2 inch spur-like projection. The inside is white with a red center. The flowers are about 0.5 to 1 inch wide.

Iris douglasiana (Douglas iris) is a delicate native iris with purple flowers. It is very drought tolerant in the shade.

Keckiella breviflora (Bush penstemon): This delicate little bush penstemon has light purple flowers with dark purple stripes. It has shiny gray foliage and arching gray stems. This bush penstemon is happy in full shade.

Monardella villosa subserrata (Coyote Mint): has light purple flowers and a minty fragrance. It is very drought tolerant. It is a great butterfly flower. It grows about a foot tall.

Wyethia angustifolia (Narrowleaf Mule Ears) - This is a horrible name for a cute little plant. The leaves are long and green like mule ears? It stays less than a foot tall and has 2 to 3 inch sunflowers. They make good cut flowers. It is very drought tolerant. It goes dormant in the winter.

Hope these suggestions help!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"