no bloom hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

homer Glen, Il
Question by mrvr57
I have had hydrangeas in a semi sunny as ell as shady location for several years. Have nice foliage but no flowers Can you help?

0

We'll try to help! The two most common reasons for non-blooming are incorrect exposure to sunshine and poor pruning practices. Hydrangeas grow best in morning sun and afternoon shade. There are many different hydrangeas available and I don't know which ones you are growing. The common blue or pink flowering big leaf hydrangea produces flowering shoots in the spring on last season's wood. So, to prune for flowering, reduce the old wood by one-half to one-third after bloom. The shrub will develop new flowering wood the following spring. If it doesn't bloom regardless of pruning, then it may be dying down to ground level each winter, which means it will not have any old wood on which new flowering wood can develop. If this is what is happening, you may never see flowers on your plants! In this case, you may want to consider replacing your hydrangeas will those that bloom on both old and new growth. That way you'll be assured of flowers regardless of the winter weather. Best wishes with your hydrangeas.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"