Brussel Sprouts - Knowledgebase Question

Ovid, Mi
Question by djtemt99
How and when is the best time to harvest Brussel Sprouts

0

You can begin harvesting brussels sprouts when they're about 3/4 inch in diameter and before they exceed about 1 1/2 inches. They'll ripen slowly over a period of several weeks so you can simply cut off the sprouts that are the right size and leave the rest to grow larger. I think they taste sweeter after they've experienced a frost so I don't think there is any hurry to harvest yours. It may be too late for your brussels sprouts this year but if you grow them again next year you can manipulate their maturity and encourage most of the sprouts on a plant to ripen at the same time by pinching off the growing tip and the top leaves - but wait until the lower sprouts are about 1/2 inch in diameter; otherwise you'll reduce the yield. Expect mature sprouts about two weeks after topping. Enjoy your brussels sprouts!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "