Zinnias - Knowledgebase Question

Canton, Ge
Question by alstam
I had a beautiful stand of zinnias this year. They were planted from seed packets. I was wondering if i could save some seed for next year but i do not know how to do that. How do I collect and save them?

Yes! You can easily save the seeds. To save zinnia seeds, wait until the color of the flower heads fade and deadhead them. When the flower head looks rather "dead" but hasn't completely withered and fallen off on its own, the seeds should be ready. As you remove the heads, they should pop off in your hand rather easily.
The seeds will range in size depending on the variety of zinnias you are growing, but most will be brownish in color, have a slightly furry texture, and will be somewhat flat and either rectangular in shape or shaped like tiny arrowheads. To identify the seeds, follow the petals down to their base. The seeds will be located in cones just behind the base of the petals.

After removing the heads from the stems, "cure" them on a tray for a few days in a dark, dry area before storing them in a paper bag and sealing them in an airtight container until planting time.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"