Fall Brilliance Fern - Knowledgebase Question

Berwyn, Il
Question by nocoincidenc
I purchased 2 of these in June. One grew a couple inches all summer and the other hasn't grown at all but it's still alive. Is this normal? I'm concerned the upcoming cold weather may kill it. Please advise. Thanks. Rob Borosak, Berwyn, IL. nocoincidence@aol.com

Dryopteris erythrosora 'Brilliance', or Fall Brilliance Fern, is hardy in zones 3-8. It remains evergreen in frost-free areas, but will die down to the ground in your growing region. If your plants didn't grow much this year I suspect they were concentrating on becoming established and should make up for lost time next spring and summer. Dryopteris erythrosora prefers moist, rich, well-drained, acidic soils and grows best in full to partial shade. It is intolerant of drought, compacted or poor soils so if your soil needs amendments, wait until new growth begins in the spring, dig the plants, amend the soil, then replant. You should see a big difference in their performance next year. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"