Cosmos - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by cpysz
I planted some Cosmos this year from seed and they really took off.

I thought they were perennials but saw on a website that they are annuals. If I save some of the seeds from this crop will they germinate next spring when I plant them?

Cosmos will self-sow if you allow them to, or you can harvest the seed heads and save the seeds for sowing out in your garden next spring. After the petals fall, the seeds will start to mature and the seedhead will turn brown. Wait until the seedhead is a tannish brown, then clip it off the plant and into a paper envelope. Set the envelope in a warm, dry place for a few days and then crush it between your thumb and forefinger. The seeds will drop out into the envelope. Place the envelope in a plastic bag or glass jar with a lid and store the seeds in a cool, dark place.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"