Scallions - Knowledgebase Question

Post Falls, Id
Question by itsourturn
I have an abundance of green onions in my garden and am afraid of losing them to the coming frost. Is there a way to harvest and keep them fresh for awhile?

Scallions, or bunching onions, will keep for several weeks (3-4 in my experience) if you keep them in the refrigerator. Pull the onions and clip off all but about a half inch of roots, wash them well and then place them in the vegetable drawer of your refrigerator. I sometimes wrap them in a paper towel and place them in a plastic bag, then in the vegetable bin in the refrigerator. Don't be in a hurry to harvest them, though. They are tolerant of cold weather and a light frost won't harm them. A hard freeze will, though, so watch the weather predictions. Enjoy your harvest!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"