vegetables in florida - Knowledgebase Question

sebastian, Fl
Question by theharmonype
I live in sebastian ,fl...I'v been planting veggies in the sand...they don't seem to be doing well...is it ok to plant vegetables in sand?

0

Sandy soil is great for good drainage but it doesn't hold nutrients or enough water to make most vegetables thrive. Before planting another veggie garden, amend your sandy soil with lots of compost or other organic matter. Spread 3-4 inches over the top of the bed and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Organic matter will help hold enough moisture to keep your vegetable plants growing well and will release nutrients as it decomposes, which will help your plants thrive. Spread a little extra organic matter between your vegetable plants to help slow water evaporation and to suppress weeds. At the end of the gardening season dig it into the soil and add another layer on top of the soil. After a few years you will turn your sandy soil into rich garden loam. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"