bermuda grass as a weed - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by jcorse628
Help!! Bermuda grass is taking over my St Augustine lawn. How can I get rid of it short of pulling it out by the roots? I've been weeding since last spring and am worn out. Can you tell me what to do?

I wish there were an easy answer to your question, but bermuda grass is extremely difficult to control once it has established itself in a lawn. In fact, there are no herbicides registered effective against bermuda in St. Augustine. Hand pulling and digging is the most effective control technique. Spot treating with glyphosate (Round Up) is an option but it is a contact herbicide so any St. Augustine it touches will be killed, as well. It might be something to consider. Hand pulling/digging will eliminate the current plants but there will be seed left in the lawn so to keep them from germinating next spring, a pre-emergent herbicide should be used in March. Wish I had an easier solution for you!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"