rabbits - Knowledgebase Question

Ocean City, Ma
Question by lkoean
Rabbits are eating all my plants, hostas, roses, petunias, marigolds, mums I have tried liquid fence to no avail -- help!

0

You may need to try several different repellents until you find one that will work. 'Deer Away' is efffective in deterring rabbits and lasts 7-10 days without washing off. 'Ropel' is another to try. Natural scent repellents such as coyote and fox urine are also available. Or you can put up a fence. To be most effective, a 1" chicken wire fence needs to be 2 feet high and buried at least 6 inches deep around your flowers. Consider also interplanting your flowers with garlic, onions, Mexican marigold or Dusty Miller. Bunnies tend not to like their aroma. Or, you can make your own animal repellent mixture by mixing a few teaspoons of cayenne pepper, and a dash of soap in a quart of water. Spray on the plants you want to protect. Or, you can try to scare rabbits from your garden by burying empty pop bottles with the tops poking up a few inches above the ground. The eerie whistle that results when the wind blows can scare them away. Sprinkling blood meal, ground hot peppers or human or dog hair around plants is also sometimes effective. Good luck with your project.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"