How can I overwinter my purple fountain grass? - Knowledgebase Question

Massapequa Park, Ne
Question by ndpettit46
I have a beautiful purple fountain grass. I live in zone 7.How can I overwinter it? Does it need light and water when dormant. When should I cut it back for the indoor winter(garage or basement). It is in a container. Thank you!
Patti

0

Purple Fountain Grass, Pennisetum setaceum Rubrum, is technically a perennial but it is grown and sold as an annual in areas with cold winters like yours. It is only winter hardy in zones 8 to 11 (think California or Florida). It won't make a suitable houseplant. With that said, it may be possible to simply set it in your garage (if it remains above freezing all winter long, or into an unheated basement) and allow it to go dormant. It may begin growing again in the spring after you've taken it outdoors and watered it regularly. If so, you're the victor! If not, I'm afraid you'll have to replace your plant. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"