Growing vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

peoria, Ar
Question by chrisrm777
I am trying to grow some organic vegetables in pots. I cannot keep anything alive. I bought a full grown tomato plant, it was dead in 1 week. What can I grow in pots & how?

The biggest difficulty with growing plants in containers is that the roots can become overheated when the sunshine shines directly on the containers. The pots act just like ovens and bake the roots. The trick is to use insulated pots or group them together so they can shade one another. Now that the weather is cooling somewhat and the sunshine is not quite so intense you should be successful with some veggies now. At this time of year you can plant leaf lettuces, beans, peas, radishes and even carrots (if you have deep containers!). Next February you can plant the warm season vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, squashes, etc.

Use potting soil in your containers and check them daily for water needs. Morning sun is best - shade from the afternoon sun is important.

Hope you have better success with your veggies this time!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"