Bougainvillea care - Knowledgebase Question

Maricopa, Ar
Question by carmelmnms
I planted 2 (5 gal) climing bougainvillea plants. They were with lush green leaves and red flowers. All the new leaves are pale green with dark green vains. The flowers are pale, also.
I tried applying an iron solution with no affect. I then gave the plans a fertilize solution, also no effect. Any ideas to solve this problem?

Sounds as though your bougainvilleas need a dose of Ironite. Even though you used an iron solution, it obviously wasn't strong enough to reach the roots of the plants. You can safely use a half cup of Ironite, sprinkled around the base of each plant and watered in well. It might take a week to see results. Bougainvilleas should be watered deeply but infrequently so when you do water, be sure to run the water long enough to penetrate down into the soil at least 12 inches. This usually means you need to apply the water slowly so it has a chance to trickle down and wet the entire root area. If you're not sure how deeply you are watering, water as usual and then poke a stick down into the soil. It will be easy to push down into moist soil but it will stop or become hard to push down through dry soil.

Best wishes with your bougainvilleas!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"