sterilising soil - Knowledgebase Question

chiloquin, Or
Question by jkjetstrans
Thank you for your input on my green tomatoes. I have them all put away. I would like to know what I can put on the soil over the winter to kill the weed seeds, or do I have to wait untill spring? Thank you John

There are corn gluten meal based pre emergents that you can apply or you can simply cover over the top of the bed with 3-4 inches of organic matter. The organic matter will exclude light from the soil, which will keep weed seeds from germinating. For even more assurance you can place several thicknesses of newspaper over the top of the soil and then spread your compost or other organic matter over the newspapers. In the spring dig or rototill the organic matter and rotted newspapers into the soil to help enrich the soil. Plant your veggies and cover over the bare soil between the plants with additional compost to help suppress weeds all season long. Then dig the compost into the soil at the end of the season and put on a fresh layer. After a few years your soil will become rich garden loam. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"