Hydranga plants - Knowledgebase Question

Question by dmfhearts
I have 2 hydraga plants outside. I live in Dutchess Cty NY,. My 1 plants has beautiful large green leaves & has never bloomed. My 2nd plant booms less & less each year. I was told to cut back the dead branches in the spring once the new branches start to bloom. How do I get beautiful blooming hydranga plants?

Hydrangeas bloom best when they receive 4 hours of morning sun and shade from hot afternoon sunshine. Some hydrangeas develop flowering shoots on old growth and others will bloom on the new growth of the season without old wood. If one of your hydrangeas has never bloomed it may be a big leaf hydrangea which requires old wood and yours may be dying back to ground level each winter. Without any old wood, this type hydrangea will probably never bloom for you. But, if the old wood is not damaged over the winter months, your hydrangeas should bloom next spring. I usually prune mine back in early spring just as the buds begin to swell on the stems, down to about 18" (or knee high). This leaves enough old wood that new flowering shoots will emerge and the plant always blooms in late spring or early summer. Hope this works for you, too.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"