English Ivy - Knowledgebase Question

Howell, Mi
Question by foreveraroun
I live in zone 5 and will soon need to put my flower boxes away. Any suggestions as to what I may do with the English Ivy? Is it too late to transplant it near ugly chainlink fence to cover it (an area that has no protection from the elements)? Move it to a pot and bring it inside? Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks very much, Valerie Shaver

0

I'd plant the ivy in the ground now and, just for fun take a cutting from the very tip of the vine to root in water and grow indoors over the winter months. Ivy roots readily in water. Just take a 6" tip cutting, strip off a few of the lower leaves and set the cut end in water so that one or two nodes (leaf scars) along the stem are immersed in water. Your ivy will develop roots at the nodes and after the roots have almost filled the glass of water you can plant it in potting soil and enjoy it indoors all winter long.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"