powdery mildew - Knowledgebase Question

Olympia, Wa
Question by louisebolend
How do I prevent powdery mildew or get rid of it in my garden, especially on squash, cucumbers, zuchinni?

0

It is difficult to control powdery mildew once it appears. Powder Mildew fungi thrive under conditions of high relative humidity, warm daytime temperatures and cool nighttime temperatures, low light, high fertility and succulent plant growth. Pumpkins and melons vary in their resistance to powdery mildew; the best defense is to provide full sunshine and ample air circulation between the plants. Resistant cucumber varieties include 'Calypso', 'Cherokee', 'Dasher II', 'Monarch', and 'Supersett'. 'Senator' is a resistant zucchini. Next time you plant, make sure to use disease resistant varieties and give all plants ample room to encourage good air circulation. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"