eggplant - Knowledgebase Question

Port Charlotte, Fl
Question by passato
I have an eggplant plant that has been growing for 2 years. The first eggplant of the season come out purple, but as the season goes on, they come out yellow. Why does this happen. They seem to be OK to eat, even though they are yellow???

What an oddity! "Crossing" only affects seed production and hence the subsequent generation of plants, so a cross of two plants in your garden would not explain your yellow eggplant. There are some varieties that do produce yellow eggplant, and perhaps one of those is included somewhere in the parentage of your current eggplant -- occasionally a plant will exhibit an odd branch or "sport" which performs differently from the rest of the plant. Perhaps this is why you have had two types of eggplant on one plant. I'm sure they are okay to eat, just a little odd in the color range.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"