geraniums - Knowledgebase Question

Green Bay, Wi
Question by stachemom
I have a geranium that I love the color of - white with purple middles. I haven't had any luck with overwintering geraniums before. I brought it in and set it on my window sill. Most of it died but I managed to save a piece that surprisingly grew and blossomed. I would like to know how to propogate it before it completely dies on me. Thanks for any assistance.

Geraniums are suprisingly easy to propagate so if you had trouble with yours it was most likely due to overwatering. I don't know how large a plant you have but there are several ways to start new plants. The easiest is with tip cuttings. 4-5 inches of tip growth is all you need. Strip the lower leaves from the stem, dip the bottom of the stem in rooting hormone and set the cutting in a small pot filled with moistened potting soil. Be sure to bury one or two leaf nodes (leaf scars) into the potting soil. That's where new roots will develop. If you have a long stem you can also propagate pieces. Start by taking the tip cutting as described above. Then cut the entire stem from the plant and divide it by cutting into 2-3" long pieces with a single leaf or leaf node in the center between the cuts. You want a single leaf on one side so pull off any leaves on the bottom side of the cutting. Allow these sections to air dry for several hours so they callous over on the cut ends. Once they've done that you can lay them on their sides in moistened potting soil (with the leaf pointing up) and cover over the ends with potting soil but leave the center of the cutting exposed so the leaf is above soil level. The cuttings will develop roots and you'll see new leaves emerging when that happens. The cuttings need bright light but not sunlight and the soil should be kept damp (slightly dry, slightly moist). Best wishes with your geranium cuttings!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"