using ``gray water`` on my lawn. - Knowledgebase Question

san diego, Ca
Question by franksbrew
Is it ok to water my lawn with ``soapy`` water collected from the shower and dishwasher?

It is illegal to use gray water in your landscape in San Diego County (although it's okay in Santa Barbara and San Louis Obispo counties - go figure). With that said, water from a shower would not harm your plants but water from a dishwasher where you use dishwasher detergents would harm your plants because of the harsh chemicals. From a safety standpoint, gray water should not be used in a vegetable garden or on edible plants due to the concern about spreading bacteria and viruses through the recycled water. As long as you use soap and not detergent, the water will not harm your plants. Hope this clarifies things for you!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"