Perenual flowers in winter? - Knowledgebase Question

Reno, NV
Question by saurilaite
Hi, this is our first year how we planted a beautiful backyard. But, theris is a problem, i have planted nice flowers - perennials, but i I affraid that they can not survive during winter. Unfortunatel i for got the names of flowers. I am wondeing, is it any way i can try to cover them o redig in a pod for a winter? what would be the best protcetion of freeze? tahnk you.

0

Most perennials will be hardy in your gardening region. Wait until frost kills back the tops of the plants, then cut them off at ground level and cover over the bed with 2-3 inches of organic matter. You can use compost, shredded leaves, pine needles, etc. This mulch will help insulate the roots of the plants. In the spring just brush the organic matter away so the plants can grow. They should be fine if they are perennials. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"