fruit tree care - Knowledgebase Question

rockwall, Te
Question by tomchiu1
I live in Dallas TX area and planted 4 pear trees (5 gallon)yesterday. I am very confused how to fertilize them. Because the winter is coming but the trees just planted. I bought mirco-gro fruit tree spikes (10-15-15). Is it ok to use now or wait until before the trees growing season. Will it be better to use organic tree spikes(5-5-5)due to the nitrogen level? Thanks for your advice!

We generally recommend you fertilize fruit trees in the spring, when they are actively growing. However, fertilizer spikes are typically slow release so you could put them in the ground, knowing that they will release their nutrients slowly and the tree roots will take them up as they need them. The fruit tree spikes (10-15-15) are just fine for your trees. While too much nitrogen can result in rank growth, because the tree spikes are slow release, the 10-15-15 will serve them well. Best wishes with your pear trees.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"