Indoor Peppers and Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

St. Paul, Mi
Question by danielgoldbe

I like making salsa's at home and I want to start growing some of the ingredients. Unfortunately I live in St. Paul, MN-so it has to be indoor. I was wondering how to get started growing jalape

You can grow tomatoes and peppers indoors if you can provide heat (these are heat-loving plants!) and adequate light (gro-lights are necessary). If you have a room you can dedicate to growing these plants so you can keep the heat up to about 80F, you'll be successful. All you'll need to do is install gro-lights above the plants and keep them on 12-14 hours a day. Choose full spectrum lights rather than regular fluorescent lights so your plants get the advantage of all the UV rays. Aside from the temperature and the artificial lights, the plants will take the same care as you would give them in the garden, including adequate water and regular feeding. One of the benefits of growing them indoors is you won't have to deal with insect pests, but you will have to make sure pollen is transferred. Sharply tap the branches of the tomato plants when they are in flower to help the pollen drop to the proper parts of the flower and "visit" the open flowers of the pepper plants with a tiny paintbrush to transfer pollen. Best wishes with your endeavor!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"