winter care - Knowledgebase Question

Secaucus, Ne
Question by Bigjobb69
I have red hibiscus plant some people say you need to take itin the house for the winter . It's like 4 ft. tall.I live in New Jersey out side of N.Y. city . tyvm

0

There are two different types of plants commonly called hibiscus. Tropical hibicus has glossy leaves and large flowers and it is frost tender. Hardy hibiscus (Rose of Sharon) has dull green leaves, medium sized flowers and is hardy in your gardening region. If you have a tropical hibiscus, it needs to go indoors over the winter months. Grow these types of hibiscus in containers and bring them indoors in the fall before temperatures drop below 55 degrees. Gradually acclimate them to being indoors by moving them to a partially shaded area for a week or two prior to coming inside. This helps them adjust to the lower indoor light levels and avoids temperature shock. Be sure to rinse them off thoroughly to remove any hitchhiking insects before you bring them inside. Once indoors, provide average room temperature with high humidity, good air circulation (but no drafts) and very bright light. They may drop some leaves when they come inside but that is to be expected while they undergo the adjustment. I hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"