Flower Bed around tree - Knowledgebase Question

Apopka, Fl
Question by cherisewhit
I have an oak tree with a flower bed about 1 foot high all around the trunk. Should I remove this? The tree is getting thinner each year it seems.
Thanks! Cherise

The answer depends upon how long the flower bed has been in place. If the tree grew up with it in place, the tree has made adjustments to accommodate the companion. If it was recently installed, however, there is a potential for the soil to hold too much moisture against the trunk and cause rot. Excess soil over the tops of the roots can also compromise their health. If you think the planter is causing problems, I'd remove it, or at least remove 3-4" of soil that is against the trunk and replace it with gravel so less moisture is held against the bark. Best wishes with your oak tree!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"