"inherited plants" - Knowledgebase Question

Fallbrook, Ca
Question by katifree
I just moved from the East Coast and I have 2acres that wasn't taken care of. I could revive some trees with watering. However some of the citrus trees started flowering, and I am afraid it's not the best time for that. Should I pick the flowers off? Also I haven't cut the dead branches yet (sometimes about 50-90% of the tree), because I am not sure about the timing and if it has some life in it.

You can do some rehabilitation pruning now. Anything dead can be cut off at any time of the year. If the trees are in bad shape, I'd just concentrate on pruning and watering and feeding and not worry too much about the flowers and fruit it might set. Go ahead and get the trees in shape. You may be surprised at how many more flowers they set in December and January if you begin pruning now.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"