Tree Bugs - Knowledgebase Question

Hempstead, Te
Question by marygonmaldo
I have these little black bugs that have killed a Young oak tree and are also in my Young Maple, Pecan and another young Oak tree. They seem to be boring into the trunk and branches. Not letting the leaves and branch grow. When removing some of the bad branches these bugs come out ofthe infected branches or trunk. What can I use to get rid of them or is it to late to save the trees

0

Borers within trees cannot be successfully treated with insecticides because the insects are in a protected site. insecticidal control is best achieved if sprays are made during periods of adult activity and egg laying.

Since I don't know what kind of borers you're dealing with, I don't know what their lifecycle is so I can't suggest a spray program. Why not collect some of the insects in a plastic baggie and take them into your local cooperative extension office for positive identification? Helpful staff can suggest controls for the particular type of borers you're dealing with. Waller County Extension Office, 846 6th Street,
Hempstead, TX 77445 Phone: 979-826-7651

Good luck with your trees!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"