flamboyan de jardin - Knowledgebase Question

Lakeshore, Fl
Question by oneavefenix
I was told this particular tree grows to 40feet tall with brittle easily to break branches. That they are invasive with shallow destructive roots. That their two feet long pods make lots of noises. Why the bad rap? I have seen these species and they are not any of that just beautiful small flowery shade trees. Are we talking the same tree?

Perhaps not. Pride of Barbados, Mexican Red Bird of Paradise, Dwarf Poinciana, Peacock Flower, Flamboyan-de-Jardin, and Barbados Fenceflower are common names for
Caesalpinia pulcherrima (alternately identified as Poinciana pulcherrima). This is a plant, not a tree, with 8" spiked clusters of up to 40 pinkish-red ball-like buds which open to yellow butterfly-like blooms, then fade to a deep orange and gold, and finally turning to a deep reddish-orange. This large growing shrubby perennial makes a fantastic show throughout summer. Give it plenty of room and a rich fertile soil.
It grows in full sun, part sun or part shade, to a mature height of 7' and width of 12'.

Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia) is also called Flamboyan, and is rated to 40 feet but 30 is more common. Width nearly matches height in a happy tree. The flowers are the same as the Flamboyan de jardin so there's no wonder there is some confusion! This is a tree, not a shrub.

I hope this information helps you determine just what it is you're growing!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"