JACARANDA MIMOSIFOLIA - Knowledgebase Question

Lakeshore, Fl
Question by oneavefenix
I wanted a taller jacaranda for shade and my will probably grow only 4 feet. Can I trimm thejacaranda mimosifilia to keep it from growing more than 10 feet tall? How far fro my condo? Any other dangers?

It won't be possible to keep a standard Jacaranda tree under 10' tall, even if you prune constantly. And, if you do prune a great deal to try to keep it small you will lose the flowers, which I think is the whole point in growing a Jacaranda! How about planting a different kind of tree? A dwarf weeping cherry will flower in the spring and will remain about 10' tall. Or you could choose a dwarf silk floss tree. There are other dwarf flowering trees suitable for Florida so why not choose a tree with a smaller stature rather than trying to keep a large tree small?

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"