strawberry plants - Knowledgebase Question

Teaneck, Ne
Question by dmjordanmays
I never really got a good crop of strawberries will it come in better next year and how do I store my strawberry plants in the ground for next year

0

First year plants rarely produce a good yield but next year's crop should be better because the roots of the plant will be more mature. After frost nips the foliage you can cut the leaves off the plant and then pile 3-4 inches of straw, pine needles or other organic matter to help protect the crowns of the plants. Brush the organic matter away when new leaves begin to emerge in the spring. The straw or pine needles will make a great mulch around the plants the following growing season, keeping the fruits cleaner than they would be if they were resting directly on the soil. Enjoy your strawberries!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"