crabapple trees - Knowledgebase Question

Arlington Heights, Il
Question by scott375
During this last summer, our crabapples trees had premature browning and falling foliage. This started as soon as June. Is this a bug related problem? Is there anything I can do this fall to prevent this from happening next year? I didn't see any bugs, but it seems like a disease of some kind.

What you describe sounds like a fungal disease called scab, which is common in both apple and crabapple trees. It is too late to prevent the problem this year but you should rake and remove the fallen leaves to prevent reinfection. Next spring spray your crabapple tree with Bordeaux (lime sulfur) beginning just as the leaf buds begin to swell, and again (usually 3 more times) as recommended on the label. These treatments will protect the fruits and leaves from scab.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"