Poinsettias - Knowledgebase Question

morganton, Ge
Question by mjcowart
can you please tell me again how to make the poinsettas bloom for Christmas step by step? I'll print it this time. I hope it isnt to late. I have already brought them inside. my zipcode is 30560 for the area. also how do you make other poinsettas off of these? thank you. mc

Poinsettias require a long, dark period before they will initiate flower buds. Normally, they set flower buds in early October when nights are becoming increasingly longer. If the dark period is interrupted with the light from a window, street light or any other light source, flowering will be markedly delayed or the plant may not flower at all. Just a short period of light during the dark period is enough to delay or prevent flowering. So the best way to ensure your plant flowers in December is to put it into a dark closet for 12-14 hours out of every 24 hours period. Just set it in the dark every night at 5 p.m. and take it out every morning. Start this treatment in October and your plant should set flower buds for you. If your plant is large you can divide it into smaller plants. Wait until after it has bloomed and then upot it and divide the mass so that each new division has both roots and a green stem. Good luck with your poinsettia.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"