Fertilize soil and reseed lawn in October? - Knowledgebase Question

Vienna, Vi
Question by bijalsanghan
I live in Northern Virginia, I would like to grow vegetable garden in Spring, should I fertilize my soil now to prepare for it? Also, is this a good time to reseed or lay new sod? Thanks in advance.

0

For right now, simply spread 3-4 inches of compost or other organic matter over the top of the garden bed. This thick layer of organic matter will suppress weeds. In the spring, dig or rototill it into the soil, plant your veggies, and then cover over the bare soil between the plants with an additional 2-3 inches of organic matter. This will help suppress weeds during the growing season. At the end of the growing season dig the mulch into the soil and add a new layer. After a few years of this practice you'll end up with rich garden loam and a very productive vegetable garden. October is not too late to reseed or lay sod, but time is running out. If you can't get everything done within the next 2-3 weeks, it will be best to wait until spring to reseed or resod. Good luck with your projects!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"