fruit tree - Knowledgebase Question

california City, Ca
Question by iamjanedodge
Just bought a fig tree (black mission) THDA8214 from HD. Day temp is 95, night temp is 45. Just started to drop temp wise this week. How long do I daily water with winter coming and when do I wrap with burlap as I was told at HD

A week of daily watering is fine, then water every other day, then twice a week and then once a week. By the end of October you should be able to water your tree only once a week until cold weather arrives. Your tree can tolerate a light frost. After that frost it will go into dormancy and won't require supplemental watering. It will be just fine with regular rainfall until spring arrives. After the first frost kills the leaves you can wrap your tree to protect it over the winter months. Best wishes with your fig tree!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"