My grape crop - Knowledgebase Question

Sterling Hgts, Mi
Question by dpark55
I have 100' of fence with 30 yr old Concord grapes. Taste great, used them for jams, juice. Question is: why are they so small (blueberry size) lately? They used to be larger when there was less vinage. The clusters were smaller also. I have trimmed dead and non-producing vines in the past. I have sold them locally but too pathetic this year. Can I leave unpicked on the vine?

0

If you thin out the grape clusters the vines will redirect their energy into developing fewer, but larger and better tasting grapes. It's just a matter of stretching the plants' resources when you have too many grape clusters on your vines. So next year cut out some of the clusters when they first begin to develop. I would make an effort to remove all of the clusters rather than just leave them on the vines. For healthy plants you will want to remove anything that might introduce diseases and rotting fruit can certainly harbor bacteria. I'd remove them. Hope you have a better harvest next year!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"