Watering Majesty Palms - Knowledgebase Question

Collinsville, Il
Question by tonyandbob26
Thanks for previous answers on my Palms. Next question which I forgot to ask is, Do I water the Palms from the top of Terra-Cotta Pot or can I water from the bottom terra-cotta drain plate so it can asorb the water? Which is the best method for watering? Thanks, Bob

Either watering method is fine. What I've discovered, especially with terra cotta pots, is that over time some air pockets can develop in the potting soil around the roots. Terra cotta is excellent in that it wicks water from the soil, which keeps it from being too soggy, but this wicking action can also remove too much water too quickly, which can result in air pockets. To make sure this won't happen with your plants, plan to set the pot in a large tub of water and thoroughly soak it every 4-5 weeks. You'll see lots of air bubbles in the water which indicates the dry spots are soaking up water. When no more air bubbles arise, the pot and the potting soil are thoroughly wet and you can remove it from the tub of water and allow it to drain. Best wishes with your majesty palm!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"