Botrytis of Statice - Knowledgebase Question

Foxton, In
Question by prkettle
I am growing Statice in a Greenhouse in a hydroponic system. Its very successful over summer but every winter Botrytis sets in making my flowers unsaleable. I want to grow it over winter as the prices for the flowers are much higher then. What can I do to prevent Botrytis and what can I do once the infection has spread?

0

Well, botrytis spores can't sprout unless there's a thin film of moisture on the plants, and temperatures are within 15-20 Celcius. Increased air circulation to reduce condensation on plants will help tremendously. This may mean spacing the plants farther apart and pushing more air through the greenhouse with fans. I'm not sure of this, but there may be varieties of statice that have a more open growth habit, which would allow plant surfaces to dry more quickly and reduce the incidence of disease. Best of luck!