Impatiens - Knowledgebase Question

Canonsburg, Pe
Question by mzywan
I did a mass planting of 100 plants. By mid August I noticed they started drooping. I didn't realize something was wrong until it was too late. I used immonox and sevin to help but the leaves were gone and the stems fell over. I never saw a bug and am perplexed. The flowers in containers are fine.I have planted for 10 years and never had anything like this.How can I fix soil for 2010.Thanx

0

Sevin is a pesticide and if you didn't see any pests, there wasn't much call for its use. Sevin kills honeybees so I'd caution against overuse. Impatiens can develop root or crown rot and sadly, once you recognize the problem, it is usually too late. It's easier to avoid than to control. Overhead watering can contribute to the problem, especially if you water late in the day and the leaves do not have a chance to dry out before nightfall. I'd amend the planting bed with plenty of organic matter to facilitate good drainage and then water cautiously. Impatiens like moist soil but the top of the soil needs to dry out between waterings. I think organic compost will help improve the soil and allow it to drain well, yet hold just the right amount of moisture for your plants. Compost is filled with good bacteria which should battle the bad bacteria and keep it from involving your plants next year. Best wishes with your impatiens.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "