Mountain Ash Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Getzville, Ne
Question by mshaw16
I have a Mountain Ash tree and at the end of the summer the leaves began to look eaten and started dying, now they are all dead - could this be a pest problem and if so what can I do?

Your description of the symptoms is sketchy so I would only be guessing. If the leaves look eaten, caterpillars could be the culprits. If they have holes, beetles might be at work. Sunscald can turn leaves yellow or brown, and drought can cause sudden death of leaves. I think your best bet is to take some of the leaves along with a few of the affected stems to your local cooperative extension office for professional diagnosis. With the aid of microscopes and a full history of the care you've been giving your tree helpful staff can diagnose the problem and suggest control measures for what they find. Hope your tree isn't too sick!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"