Is it too cold to plant? - Knowledgebase Question

montgomery, Il
Question by nwalzak2000
I just bought some spiral spruce evergreen trees and bulbs. This weekend is unusually cold for this time of year. The nights will get down in the low 30's. How long can I keep the evergreens in their small pots they came in before I loose them and how long can I keep my bulbs in the fridge (as suggested by the nursery) before they go bad? Or, is it okay to plant all these this weekend?

You can plant landscape trees, shrubs and spring flowering bulbs any time the ground is not frozen. Although the air temperatures are freezing, the ground is still relatively warm (in plant terms). I'd plant everything as soon as possible. If you keep your spruces in the nursery pots the roots could freeze solid. So, plant this weekend while there's still time! Enjoy your garden.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"